Daub Logo
Products Downloads Buy Company Community my Daubnet
Login

Community

Discussions, answers and collaboration - Questions - get in touch with the developers and other users. Join today!
Create a free Daubnet Account

Ages! Board Ages! Questions PDF creation on XPSP3 and Vista systems  


 

PDF creation on XPSP3 and Vista systems

 
 
 
Post4. Nov 2008, 14:30
In response to a post that ended up in the german forum:

After converting charts or lists to the PDF format the letters shown incorrectly,(in other languages) inspite of the fact that for text selected Unicode font.

Ages! 1.5x currently has a bug on XP SP3 and Vista machines. Depending on various factors, it may fail to embed certain fonts into created PDF files. You will get a "cannot open file" message for each font it failed to embed. The resulting PDF file will still be readable, but may use incorrect typography.

The font embedding routines have been changed for the upcoming 1.52 release to be compatible with the latest XP service pack and Vista.
Site Admin
jcd
 
 
 

Re: PDF creation on XPSP3 and Vista systems

Post5. Nov 2008, 22:44
Many thanks for your reply!
I will post my further messages here.
By the way - when I tried to print out chart on Adobe printer - it was created PDF file with correct letters. I think the problem is in PDF
driver which is incorporated in your good software.

It would be a good idea if you can include in downloads file strings.ini
adjusted for new version of Ages. Unfortunately I have only old one which is dated 2002...
From my side I can help with translation to the russian language, as those
lng file which is availiable for download now is very old...
 
 
 

Re: PDF creation on XPSP3 and Vista systems

Post6. Nov 2008, 12:57
You are right, the font issue lies inside the PDF creation within Ages!, we have found the cause for this, and will provide a bugfix with V1.52.

The updated customizer will go online soon.
Site Admin
jcd
 
 
 

Re: PDF creation on XPSP3 and Vista systems

Post24. May 2009, 19:11
jcd wrote:You are right, the font issue lies inside the PDF creation within Ages!, we have found the cause for this, and will provide a bugfix with V1.52.


Unfortunately the same problem still exist in the version 1.52 :(
 
 
 

Re: PDF creation on XPSP3 and Vista systems

Post25. May 2009, 19:36
BlackDog wrote:Unfortunately the same problem still exist in the version 1.52


The problem vanished with 1.52 for all other users, so please double-check that you
a) have the 1.52 release of the software
and
b) are getting the "cannot open file" when exporting to PDF with embedded fonts.

You should not get that error when using the Arial font, and you should not get a different error message than "cannot open file" - if you do, you are experiencing a different problem that we need to investigate on.
Site Admin
jcd
 
 
 

Re: PDF creation on XPSP3 and Vista systems

Post26. May 2009, 13:37
A/ this is exatly used 1.52 vesion
B/ I did not see "cannot open file" message , when exporting to PDF.

Please, find atached two documents created with Ages:
1. test.pdf creatd with Export to PDF button

2. test.xps created by printing on the virtual printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

3. test2.pdf creted by printing on the Adobe PDF printer.

As you can see files test.xps and test2.pdf correctly shows all letters.
Attachments
test2.pdf
test2.pdf creted by printing on the Adobe PDF printer
(50.01 KiB) Downloaded 1404 times
test.zip
test.xps (inside zip) created by printing on the virtual printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
(96.35 KiB) Downloaded 1322 times
test.PDF
test.pdf creatd with Export to PDF button
(2.43 KiB) Downloaded 1305 times
 
 
 

Re: PDF creation on XPSP3 and Vista systems

Post27. May 2009, 19:14
Thanks for posting the files. The problem you are experiencing is totally unrelated to the XPSP3-specific problem that was addressed with 1.52. Sorry, it was me who mislead you to think they were related.

I assume that your system uses a codepage that is different from "Western European" (ISO 8859-1 / CP1252). The PDF-generator in Ages! is currently unable to use any other encoding, which pretty much leaves it useless for you. There is no easy workaround for this that I'd know of.

We are, however, looking into migrating Ages! to Unicode, which will hopefully eliminate these kinds of problems entirely.
Site Admin
jcd
 
 
 
 
 
cron